To some fashionistas, style is everything and staying on top of the trends is essential. A recent fashion phenomenon dubbed as “normcore”, however, has made trendless style the “it” thing. For many, this brings about a minimalist mindset when it comes to fashion. Keeping your style mantra simple can still mean looking chic and polished. Here are my 6 tips for acing a minimalist look.
1. Tee shirt: While the tee shirt is often taken for granted as being the article of clothing most of us own and wear on a “lazy” day, the tee shirt allows for a quick and easy approach to style. Whether you prefer white, grey, black, or some other hue, a plain tee shirt is the perfect blank canvas to begin creating your minimalist look. When I think of the ultimate plain tee americanapparel.net comes to mind with their wide array of classic tees in every color imaginable. While these shirts may seem a little pricey in comparison to others, they are made with great quality and they last for a very long time—making them a worthwhile investment.
2. Blue jeans: A staple to every wardrobe is a trusted pair of blue jeans. This pant style has been popular for decades, and they aren’t going anywhere any time soon. I love levis.com classic blue jeans because they are comfortable, the perfect shade of blue, and they are affordable. This brand has been around for a while because they know what they’re doing when it comes to making the perfect pair of jeans to fit all body types. Blue jeans are essential because you can dress them up or down, even if you’re going for a minimalist look. Blue jeans pair nicely with many items in any fashionistas closet, offering un-paramount versatility.
3. Little Black Dress (LBD): Every woman knows the importance of owning a reliable little black dress. If you don’t have one, what are you waiting for? The best part about a black dress is that it is truly indispensible, and it will never be obsolete. Black is flattering on all body types and offers every style persona a clean and refined starting point to play around with. Black matches with all other colors, so no matter how uncomplicated you want to go, your little black dress will always be there to create the look you desire. Wearing a simple black dress with your favorite flats or pumps and a pair of earrings is enough to look put together—that’s the beauty of it. Nordstrom.com offers an affordable black dress that I think is perfect for all occasions. It’s sexy, yet modest—everything a gal could ask for in a little black dress.
4. White button-up shirt: This shirt style has been a staple for both women and men for many years, but many modern day designers continue to offer fashionistas classic options with a modern day touch. A crisp cotton button-up shirt is perfect for day or night and matches with literally anything— weather pants, skirt, flats, or heels. If you’re looking for a more feminine and flirty version of this timeless piece, you can always opt for a flowy variety. Hm.com features a lovely polyester and rayon button-up that looks sophisticated, but fun.
5. Structured black purse: Every fashionista needs a great bag to tote all of her belongings around. With so many great options out there, it can be tough making a decision. However, if you’re going to invest in a fabulous bag, I always say go for a classic option. Nordstrom.com features a stunning black structured Coach bag that is perfection. While the price seems a bit steep, investing in a piece you can use for many years is better than spending a fraction on a cheaply made bag that you’ll have to replace repeatedly. This bag will match with everything in your closet and is the perfect size—not too big, not too small.
6. Black leather pumps/flats: Last but not least, every minimalist needs to finish off every look with the perfect pair of shoes. Investing in a good quality pair of black leather flats or pumps…or even both will make it easy to match with your entire wardrobe for time to come. Spending a little extra on a well-made pair of shoes is not only good because you’re guaranteed a timeless style, but also they are likely to be more comfortable. Macys.com showcases a gorgeous pair of Steven Madden black leather flats that I absolutely love. Weather you prefer round or pointed toe shoes, keep it simple!
Sticking to the basics will not only allow you to get the most out of your wardrobe for a long time to come, it will make you a pro at mastering a perfectly polished minimalist look. No matter the season or type of event, minimalism will always be in style.